“What can a baby learn in a music class?” is a question I get asked quite often. The answer is really quite exciting.
Current research in music education and therapy is uncovering the wealth of learning to be gained through involvement in music and movement classes at an early age. In fact, musical aptitude, often what we call “talent,” is not something innate but something that is nurtured and developed through experiences early in childhood. Young children in Kindermusik experience:
1. Singing – While our goal is not singing babies, babies and young children can learn to audiate (hear music in their heads), which in turn leads to a strong musical ear and the ability to match pitches early in life. In fact, we have a few remarkable babies enrolled in class this spring who are already starting to sing, and they’re not even a year old!
2. Steady Beat – Even young babies can learn to keep a steady beat through rhythmic activities such as lap bounces and dancing to music. For all children, this skill aids not only in the foundations of building rhythm for later musical study, but also helps them walk, bounce a ball, and cut with scissors.
3. Language – Through exposure to songs and rhymes, children develop concepts, auditory memory, phonemic awareness, and other important language skills which later aid in learning to read and write numbers and letters as well as music!
4. Instruments – Exploring instruments and sharing in instrument playalongs provides important sensory input to develop the brain, builds a sense of steady beat, encourages creativity, and helps provides enjoyable early ensemble experiences.
5. Fun – Making music fun early, makes music fun for life!
Of course, in addition to these and the many other musical skills and experiences young children are given in an early childhood music class, they gain a host of other skills in the areas of social, emotional, cognitive and physical development. But those will have to wait for another day.
Come visit one of our classes and see for yourself what babies, toddlers, and preschoolers are learning every week in their Kindermusik classes.
Thanks, Joy for such a beautiful explanation!